Monday, June 22, 2009

Thr Day of Fathers

I just was honored at the home of oldest dau, Anne, and her husb, Jeff. We two men are fathers and pretty good ones, I believe and I know Chris is a great one. I have been A Dad since Anne was born 44 years ago and then twice more> Margie and Christopher. Looking critically and I DO NOT mean with "criticism, but with a sense of discernment.", I feel that young Fathers that I know presonally Tom, Jeff, son, Chris and others are much more into the real sense of what fatherhood is than I was. Back in the day, the MOM was the boss of the kids and the Dad only seemed to get truly involved in serious kid matters:
"DAD, Margie hit Chris in the head with an axe!!!!!'' and, "Go to sleep or I'm coming UP THERE!!" and " DAD, Chris threw something into my bike tire and I may have a broken leg!!"
We did things together, individually and as a family but I never REALLY got into treating my children as total and complete individuals as I see happening with modern fathers. I'm sorry for this, wishing I had been able to be better at it, but that seemed to be the way things were back in the early days of my fatherhood.
I attribute 90% of the wonderfullness and niceness of our grownup children to their Mother. I tried to take more credit for the way they are, but about 10% is as much as I can truthfully take. I know they like me and I do get respect and love- and Father's day gifts-NOT just on fathers Day and I am grateful for this, but sometimes wonder if it could be even more? All I can do at this late date is keep on trying to be a good Dad and give as much of myself as I can and hope that it's enough.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

Actually, it was CHRIS who hit MARGIE in the head with an axe. And you were and are a good Dad, though your reflections were revealing and I like the introspection. And I love you!