Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Christmas Story (continued)

I looked from my hand to his face and back a few tmes before I realized his dark wool pants hid steel leg braces. I had to get on with it or this line of visitors would go on forever.
"So, tell me what you want for Christmas." I looked up into his mother's face hoping she was listening, but she seemed too tired to care. Even if she did hear, she may not have been able to get it for him. She sure hadn't spent much on their clothes.
He put his hand on top of mine and smiled for the first time. It seemed that the whole place had gone quiet and it seemed warmer too. Then the store was gone and the sky shone where the roof should have been. He turned to face me completely and I didn't even feel the pain in my leg.
He said, "I want you to be happy and to not hurt. I forgive you."
I could almost swear that a troop of angels started in singing. He slid down off my lap, picked up his crutches, smiled up at his Mother, and left me bewildered. What had just happened? How come I didn't hurt anymore?
Next thing, Mr. Hardie was standing there holding ared and green envelope. We were alone. He put his hand on my shoulder and actually beamed at me. "Great job, Santa! I've never seen such a display. They all loved you and you have a permanent job every year and in between, too, if you want. I don't know how you changed so much, but it's been a blessing to watch."
I just shook my head and headed for the door. I had a taxi cab to catch and pay for two trips. Looking into the envelope, I saw the pay I expected plus a note. It was from Mr. Danvers, the store owner. It said, "Thank you for helping make our Christmas so merry. Please come to the Utopia Inn tonight. I have a room saved for you. I"ll come talk to you tomorrow morning. Man! What a deal! I suddenly realized I didn't hurt and had left the hospital's crutches behind the tree.