Friday, November 28, 2008

More Great Grate stories from childhhood

So we had all this money and decided we had to pool it and buy something. You have heard about money burning a hole in one's pocket? Well, we had a five alarm fire going and thoroughly discussed (argued about) what to buy. Of course, Diane, thought she had the most say, as she had been the one who first contributed the dime for the bubble gum and she HAD pulled up the most coins. This was true, but she was just a GIRL and easily out-argued by a coulple of BOYS. Later in life she took charge and showed that ol' husband who really wore the pants in their family.
We traipsed (an old-timey word for sauntered or moseyed) into Eastman's Drug and walked up and down each and every aisle checking for the BEST thing we could find to buy. Diane wanted paper dolls and after Mickey and I nearly puked (another good word I was not allowed to say at home) we finally decided on food--always a big winner with us especially having thought of puking before.
Eastman's drug had a medium sized soda fountain and three or four tables with four twisted metal chairs. We had to order at the counter, wait for our treat to be made up, then carry them to our table. I recall being a wonderful boy and told Dianer to sit and I would pick up the banana split she wanted. I still am the best at impressing girls--just ask any of them!!
I wanted a hot fudge sundae as I was then and still am a HUGE choc-o-holic. For the first time, I got to order and felt like a big man. I watched the attendant fill the tulip shaped dish with icecream then reach for the hot chocolate dipper (no squirter here!!). I darn near fell over in delight when I read the name of the chocolate painted on the outside of the electric, plug-in dispenser of hot chocolate. It said MY last name, Johnston!!!!!! I hollared at Mickey and Diane to look and they were also impressed, though Diane less so as her last name was Foster, and not Johnston. I loved that feeling and never forgot it. One day far into the future, my other brother David called me and said he had somehow heard that Eastman's Drug was going out of business and everything in the 50+ year old store was up for auction on a certain date and mail bids would be accepted. He told me he had bid on a table and four of those chairs. I hurriedly bid $100 on the Johnston Hot Fudge Dispenser with lust in my heart and I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!! It is now in my home in White Bear Lake, MN and one of my most prized antiques. It was over 50 years old when Eastmans closed and I've had it for nearly 25 years. It will be passed down to my son, Christopher--- the only one of my three children with enough sense to keep the last name of Johnston. The other two kids are both married girls; guess I can't blame them.. To not get married just so one has a chance to inherit a Hot Fudge Dispenser seems a bit goofy to me. I love them and will be sure each will inherit some great thing from my past. How about a piece of black inner tube formerly used for shooting rocks?

1 comment:

anne said...

Dad, If you want my opinion, I think a memoir of your interesting childhood would make a great book. Think about it. Anne