Monday, November 10, 2008

Who cares about Snow??

Well, I guess the LSW and I both do. We rassled the darn heavy snow blower into the back of my mini-van and drove it to the small engine repair place as we do every Fall. This time it cost us a bit over $200, but it runs great. Now we have to decide the EXACT RIGHT TIME to take the lawn mower into the same shop for its usual winterizing dealie. Too soon and the grass still needs a last mowing and too late and we have to push it out into the utility shed through snow. Not pretty. Life can sure get complicated trying to co-ordinate two machines, but it's better having them than like in the olden days when my brother, Mike and I had to cut our grass thusly>>> He or I would flip a coin to determine who was the fanner and who would be the clipper. The fanner would crawl along the ground fanning the grass with a bamboo Chinese fan Mom got from somewhere and the clipper would quickly snip off the grass that was sucked into an upright position by the fan using Mom's bandage scissors (She was an LPN). After this 11 hour job, we both had to go over the entire lawn and rake up the cut parts and haul them to the garden for mulch. This part took about 3 hours. we ABSOLUTELY HATED GRASS CUTTING AND RAKING!!! Over and over we begged for a reel-type mower so we could at least take turns pushing the thing and not have to do the hands and knees thing.
Now, don't try to even suggest that this story is NOT true and is just the rantings of an old man who has forgotten what it was really like. I will never forget the abuse we felt and why we found out that that pouring gasoline on the yard and setting it afire is no better at clearing the long grass. Also Mom got really mad when her garden and just a little bit of the carport was charred. True!!!!!!!!!!!
If you want to hear more, just let me know and I'll tell you what is is like to walk three miles to school, at 25 degrees below zero, through four feet of snow, AND uphill both ways. Also true!!!!!!! I think I had a rotten childhood and it just amazes everyone how well Mike and I turned out. Mom said "Adversity builds character" about thirty times a day.

2 comments:

Anne White said...

Well, that explains why you are such a character!! Love you! Anne

anne said...

I guess that's why you're SUCH a character then, huh?