Thursday, November 20, 2008

Oops!! Forgot to tell Steve Person's story

In prior post I mentioned the funeral director for my folks burial in Plattte, SD. He was a young man and only out of Morturary School a short time and was quite personable but hadn't fully achieved what I would call the typical Funeral Director Mein. He had bought out the Kool funeral home business which a Dutch man and his family ran for nearly a hundred years in Platte until they ran out of sons and daughters who wanted to go into the family business.
As we three sons stood in the chill wind, our heads bowed, Mr. Persons stood respectfully off to the side. As we walked to the car afterward in great sadness, I asked Steve why he had retained the Kool name on the funeral home. He told me it was in respect to the century-long service from the Kool family. He paused then said, "Sometimes the original name is kept and the new owner is added, but we thought somehow it wouldn't sound right to call the place the Kool-Person's Funeral home."
If you have ever seen the Mary Tyler Moore show where the whole crew from the TV station is at the funeral of Peanuts the Clown and Mary gets the giggles thinking of Peanuts getting "shelled" by an elephant during a parade, you can imagine the uproarious laughs Steve Persons got by teling this tale. I know my Mom and Dad would have died laughing right there on the spot if they hadn't already been dead. All three of their sons nearly joined them laughing, chuckling, chortling, and gasping.
Steve Person may not have been the typical funeral guy, but no-one could ever have made a family enjoy a funeral more. I SWEAR on my parent's grave that this is true!!
.

No comments: