Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Knee-knee-nah-nah-new-new

Yep !!! I got it done and, as usual for me, things weren't as expected. I got "TWO OPERATIONS FOR THE PRICE OF ONE" as my surgeon said. The damage to the quadriceps tendon at age 14 and the bad infection of the prior total knee 14 years ago caused him to have a LOT of trouble getting the old parts out before he could put in the new. It seems the quadriceps got all shortened and the tendon wouldn't allow the knee to bend past the 90 degree point so the old parts could come out. He therefore had to lengthen the tendon, pull out the old parts, put in the new, and reinsert the newly lengthened tendon onto a new place on the tibia. This is rare, but it was necessary. Therefore, I could not start the usual leg exercises of bending and so on as the tendon had to heal down first or chance it coming loose again and necessitating ANOTHER operation.
It has been fun. A bunch of pain, but since this is my 36th major operation, I knew what to expect and the pain of a couple other operations was worse than this has been. The main thing is having the lengthened recovery time due to the tendon and also having the still unhealed abdominal wound. This has caused my LSW whom I love more than I can ever say to put in many hours of extra care for me. I know she is getting tired, but she just keeps trooping on and shows what the words in the wedding vow, "IN SICKNESS AND IN HEALTH" really mean. I don't think I could do for her what she has done for me as I tend to be lazy. I do NOT want to have to test myself for that reason, but mainly that I don't ever want her to have to go through pain and suffering and having to rely on me. I would surely try, but.....No one knows what they can accomplish until tested.
Greatest day for America---Obama inaguration!!!

1 comment:

Tom Smart said...

Here's to a speedy recovery.