Friday, March 28, 2008

Sweet girl

Our dau, Anne, who can soon stop labeling her Blog "Puffy" came over this aft. She had her bariatric surgery only about a week ago and she is feeling, "FINE", she says. Has lost nearly 20 lbs and seems quite pleased. Me too. She is a wonderful sweet girl.
All her life and in the lives of all three of my kids and seven "Grands" I have asked frequently, "Did you get an A?" Some of them might even be just the littlest bit tired of hearing it.
At first this question just meant a grade in school, but has come to means SO MUCH MORE TO ME, and I feel they somehow understand this also. What I mean is ALL the good things. There are thousands of A words in dictionerys, but the sort of "A" words I refer to are those like Accomplish, Achieve, Able, Advance--words that show Ability. One doesn't really always have to "get an A", but continuing to strive for something just a bit better shows a desire to do the best job possible in school and in all aspects of life.
One of the A's I most enjoyed was hearing the first word each of my children and Grandchildren read aloud. It is absolutely true that READING IS FUNDAMENTAL. A strong ability to read is a foundation that will lead to a tall tower of Ability later in life and make it much easier to get an A. It's great to hear of another Accomplishment. Maybe one of the reasons I keep hearing of them is that I care enough to keep asking.

1 comment:

anne said...

Thanks Dad! I love you too. Annie