Tuesday, March 4, 2008

WHAT THE HECK ARE "SWEEPINGS"?

Well, ya know how when you used to go down to your Dad's clothing store and "help out" by putting stuff back on hangers and hiding in-between the clothes and getting in the way; and he'd get irritated with you and FINALLY let you do the one job that you really wanted to do--the job that was the most fun for a kid--a job closest to a treasure hunt a small town boy would ever get?
I just loved watching my Dad open the large round cardboard box with the metal lid, reaching in and grabbing that metal scoop and then tossing that blue-colored oily sawdust in sweeping arcs all over the floor. It smelled like the desert sand combined with the floor of a sweltering jungle.
Handing me the huge pushbroom he smiled and said, "Sweep".
Man! Did I ever sweep! Back and forth, then side to side; over and over until I had multiple piles of blue. My Dad had shown me how to use the large dustpan to get them into the trash bin, but I never did that right away, for I knew there were treasures to be found in these piles--wondrous things like a pearl collar button, lots of straight pins from shirts tried on during the day, paperclips that were great for making pirate ship anchor chains and, sometimes even a dropped coin. TREASURE!!
Now I scour my mind sweeping it for tidbits from the past, hoping to chance upon a long forgotten treasure. Thus my blog is called Sessa'a Sweepings.

No comments: