Friday, March 7, 2008

Would you care for a little surgery?

In addition to my many other hobbies, some might say I have a scar collection. It is true that I have had a lot more operations (33) than many people, but every one of them was totally justified, unlike some of the plastic surgery going on today. Fortunately I was blessed to be born and remain extremely handsome, tight of skin and "a real vision". I also lie like a rug, but that's another story.
Anyhoo, I seem to have inherited bad joints from my Mother who had terrible knees and achy hips. As she lay dying at age 60 from lung cancer, she said, "Well, at least I won't have to go through the pain of total knee replacements." Quite a tough woman.
I have had bilateral Carpal Tunnel surgery, rotator cuff repairs, fusions of my neck vertebrae, lower back , both after disc removals and cadaver bone insertion. ThankS, to whomever donated. I appreciate it!!
Ten years ago, at age 55, I had a left knee replacement and was the one in a hundred (that's 1% for you mathematicians) who got infected. This entitled me to five more operations to "FIX" the problem. I place no blame for this--it' just the way it is.
Recently, the darn thing has been hurting , slipping and I nearly fall over. My new "GUY-KNEE-COLOGIST" tells me the plastic "bearing plate" is worn out, the metal parts are mis-aligned, and I need the replacement replaced. This could be a WHOLE LOT OF FUN considering the infection and two year battle the first time. The Doc asked me "Would you care for a little surgery?"

No comments: