Thursday, March 13, 2008

Thoughts of melting snow and Santa

The turn and tilt of the Earth is once again bringing the Sun more nearly overhead with its coNcomitant heating of the atmosphere and melting of our Winter snow. Yea!! According to Belinda Jenson and Sven Sundgaard our KARE 11 weather folks, it has been an average winter temp-wise and below snow depth-wise, but it seems nearly interminable to me.
The older I get, the faster the days go, but less so in the dead of
Winter when one seems trapped in cold air sealed under the aluminum lid of heavy clouds. I realize why the bird of happiness in the song is blue.
As a poet, I often try to recreate in my mind what might have been going on in the minds of poets of the past as they composed their own poems.
In keeping with the Winter theme, Could Clement C. Moore in
thinking out the words and rhymes for his world famous "'TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS" have pondered thusly>>>Huuummm,
now, if up on the house top reindeer pause---Now there's a thought--Reindeer don't have paws (poets always think in rhyme which leads to puns which may lead to insanity!). Reindeer have hoofs which rhymes nicely with roofs and I already have rooftops, so... should I just drop the last
part of rooftops and use roof to rhyme with hoof--So it would go like this, "Up on the roof Reindeer hoof?" Nope,too awkward. I would need to say reindeer hoofs to show they have more than one, and then I would need to use roofs and that seems too darn plural. I guess I'll just go with "Up on the rooftop, reindeer pause which means they hesitate which seems rather silly. How long is an hesitation? Just long enough for Santa to jump out and head for the chimney? It seems more correct to have them halt and wait for the old guy to come back out and re-enter the sleigh. Such a problem!!
AH! he life of a poet is not all beer and skittles as THEY say. Winter is driving me crazy (which some say is a real short trip).

No comments: